How to Help Refugees
How to help refugees
There are 83 Sri Lankan refugees held on Nauru by the Australian government, and 8 Burmese who have been there since 2005.
Writing to politicians
Points to make about the 83 Sri Lankan refugees in Nauru
- These are young men, most of whom are aged 22 & 23 years, the oldest is 28 years.
- Some have been held, tortured and beaten in Camps in Jaffna because they are Tamil.
- In reality many are computer and accounting students and at least one is a high School student aged 17years .
Their families raised the money to send them to safety in an attempt to save their lives.
- Sri Lanka is in civil conflict. see http://www.amnesty.org.au/news_features/news/refugee/sri_lanka_560,000_displaced_people_suffer_effects_of_intensifying_violence
- It is too dangerous to send them to India because the Sri Lankan Navy sinks Tamil boats on the basis that they are all Tamil Tigers-not all are.
- If they are captured they are forced to serve in the Sri Lankan
- military fighting Tamils. Understandably they do not want to do this.
- They came to Australia legitimately seeking asylum. Under the Refugee Convention to which we are signatory, Australia is obliged to receive them and assess their claim.
- They should be provided with legal advice and counselling immediately.
- Many are traumatised from beatings and torture received in detention camps in Sri Lanka they need counselling and legal advice.
Please contact Kevin Andrews’ office –
The Hon Kevin Andrews
Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
PO Box 6022
House of Representatives
Canberra ACT 2600
Tel: (02) 6277 7860
Fax: (02) 6273 4144
Please contact Kevin Rudd’s office –
Tel: (02) 6277 4022
Fax: (02) 6277 8495
Tel: (07) 3899 4031
Fax: (07) 3899 5755
Labor should stand up for the Refugee Convention and demand that Howard allow these young men to make their claims and to properly assess those claims.
End this secret incommunicado detention.
Writing to refugees
There are 8 Burmese and 83 Sri Lankans detained on Nauru by the Australian Government.
Their address is:
Sri lankan asylum seekers
PO Box 292
Republic of Nauru
Telephone: +674 444 3503
Fax: +674 444 3505
For other asylum seekers on Nauru:
Dedicated Email Address: asylumseekersnauru@iom..int
Direct Line for Incoming Calls: 674 444 3597
Direct Line for Incoming Fax: 674 444 3505
These numbers are monitored fulltime by an IOM Operations Assistant. They will attempt to locate person or take a message if unable to locate. If the other 3 phones are being used this line is available for urgent outgoing calls as well. IOM Staff are usually in this office until 8pm so others will also monitor once
There are also 3 Public Telephones in the Offshore Processing Centre. One can also be used for incoming calls. 674 444 3503.
Australian e-Fax : 61 2 9475 4844
This fax number is forwarded directly to Asylum Seeker email address. Faxes are printed out and distributed as they arrive.
Emails will be printed out and given to whomever they are addressed to.
General email to the population as a whole will be posted on notice board.
Helping in the Australian community
In Australia there is a lot to be done. In particular, now that most of the people previously in detention are now in the community, there is a real need to help them settle in and come to feel a part of the community which was so hostile to them so recently.
Below is a list of coordinating organisations who do great work helping refugees in the community. They are always keen to welcome new volunteers.
The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
12 Batman St
Phone: (03) 9326 6066
Fax: (03) 9326 5199
The Fitzroy Learning Network
198 Napier Street
Fitzroy VIC 3065
Telephone: +61 03 9417 2897
Fax: +61 03 9417 2663
Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre Inc. (RILC)
95 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Vic. 3065
Phone: (03) 9483 1144
Advice Line: 1-4pm Wed (03) 9483 1140
Hotham Mission Asylum Seeker Project
2/579 Queensberry St
Phone: 03 93268343
Fax: 03 93267470
Refugee Advice Casework Service
Suite 8C, 46-56 Kippax St
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Tel: 02 9211 4001
Fax: 02 9281 8078
BRIDGE for ASYLUM SEEKERS Foundation
344 Darling St[PO Box 90] Balmain
Ph: 02 9810 5826 fax: 02 9555 9193
Australian Refugee Association
304 Henley Beach Road,
Underdale, South Australia 5032
Phone: (08) -8354 2951
Fax : (08) -8354 2953
118 Park Rd
Woolloongabba Qld 4102
Phone: 07 3393 2500
South Brisbane Immigration & Community Legal Service Inc
Floor 1, 170 Boundary St
West End 4101
Ph: (07) 3846 3189
Fax: (07) 3844 3073
CASE for Refugees
Room 23, Level 2
671 Hay Street Mall
Perth WA 6000
Tel: 08 9486 4987
Fax: 08 9226 0630